Tuesday, March 16, 2010

FIRST GLIMPSE

Today I went to a nearby diagnostics clinic to have my tests done. I called beforehand to find out the schedule so I was at the clinic a little past 4pm.

I had to wait for a few minutes before I was called into the doctor's office. The radiologist asked me the usual questions: age, last menstrual period, etc. then we proceeded to the ultrasound room. Instead of getting a transvaginal ultrasound, he told me that a pelvic one would suffice since I seem to be more than 10 weeks along (rough estimate). So, I lay on the bed and got ready. After a few minutes of checking out the important things: placenta, fluid, etc, he showed me the baby. It was really cool. The baby was sitting upright (breech position) but the doctor told me that could change later on as it grows. I saw its head, its arms, its body, its tiny heart beating away, its legs and I got so overwhelmed. It was like the first pregnancy all over again. I wanted to cry but of course, not wanting to look like a fool and alarming the radiologist, I just concentrated on the monitor. I asked the doctor if it was moving and he said yeah. He then showed me. And did it move! I was relieved of course. After informing me that everything seemed normal and okay, I thanked the doctor and left the room. Back at the waiting area, I messaged Ruther and told him about the experience. Of course, I was sad that once again, he wasn't here to share the experience with me. It would have been so great for us to have seen the baby together for the first time. But he did promise that when he comes home in May, I'll have another ultrasound and we'll see the baby together then.

Anyway, after that, I had to wait for a few more minutes before having my blood extracted for testing. I needed tests for CBC and HBs-Ag. The extraction didn't hurt at all. I guess it's good I have a high pain threshold. I needed a urinalysis too and that wasn't too hard because I now have the constant urge to pee. Anyway, I was out of the clinic at around 545pm. Since I didn't get a transvaginal ultrasound (which costs P850), I only paid P945 for everything, which is pretty reasonable. The pelvic ultrasound cost P450, CBC was P175, urinalysis P100, and HBsAg screening P270.

And here are the ultrasound photos:















3 comments:

drlilac said...

That's so precious :)

By the way, I matched Lae! Will be starting training in July :)

Becky said...

Awww...so sweet! Just loooved getting ultrasounds. That first glimpse of baby.

Becky said...

I was soooo glad to hear from you again...I was wondering how you have been, girl...it's been ages!

I'd love to chat with you sometime soon. Do you have Facebook?