Wednesday, January 25, 2012

KUNG HEI FAT CHOI

My paternal grandfather was Chinese so I'm very well aware of the Chinese calendar and the Chinese New Year. Unlike some of my cousins who grew up learning to speak Chinese and most of the Chinese ways, my mom decided to bring me and my siblings up differently. I really don't mind that we studied in different schools. I did mind though when my grandfather would speak Chinese to my cousin and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Now that I think about it, I feel that I know so little of my Chinese culture. I mean, I am well aware of the celebrations, some traditions and all the other things I learned in books and old Chinese movies but the culture that was rooted from my family, I have no idea. I don't know how and why my grandfather came to the Philippines. I don't know why he married my grandmother when she hasn't a single drop of Chinese blood in her. I don't know why we never got to talk about Chinese rituals and why my grandfather never told us about his past and his life. He wasn't a cold person. He was quite jovial in fact. But I guess, he just didn't want to share that part of his life with his grandchildren.

Despite all these questions and a whole lot more, I am thankful for that Chinese part in me. It may me a very small part but it's definitely still there. And I would still want my kids to know all the Chinese traditions we did when we were little as well as the things my grandparents did and experiences I had with them growing up. I miss them both.

.....

It's the year of the water dragon. According to Chinese astrology, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be lucky this year (I'm a fire dragon) but then again, I've given up on these sort of predictions when I couldn't keep track of them through the months. I decided, I'll make my own decisions and path. I can't let some prediction dictate my year. I have to take charge, I know. Anyway, Ruther seems to have the lucky year. Didn't get to check the boys'. But they're too young to be affected by such trivial stuff. Me? I'm just hoping this year will be so much better than 2009-2011. If that so happens, then 2012 is a splendid year.

No comments: