Sunday, May 13, 2012

MOMS


It's that time of the year again.  Yup, everyone pays tribute to moms around the world.  Amazing, isn't it?  
Where would we all be without our moms?  True, some moms are better or worse than others and some are just plain insane. But whether we love or hate them, we do owe them our lives.
I've been blessed to have a great mom.  Granted she's not perfect, could be insane even, but she loved me and my siblings.  She took care of us, gave us the best care, sheltered us (a little too much methinks) and loved us unconditionally.  How many moms can give these to her kids?  
I know a family who barely talks to their mother.  I understand that their mother was terrible to them - and I mean terrible.  Physically, emotionally, financially... you name it.  Now, they want nothing to do with her after years of heartache and abuse.  It's sad, but since I am not in their position, I can't judge them. I'm only saying that it's sad.
I'll admit, there were times when I wished I had a different mom.  But those were during times of depression, stress and emotional upheavals.  I know now that for every person in the world, there is a mom meant for him or her.  Moms will never be perfect but at least they try.  
I'm a mom now.  I have been for 10 years.  I have 3 beautiful boys. I just feel so blessed.  I've always wondered why I have second thoughts about getting a full-time job and now I know why.  It's because THIS is my full-time job.  Being a mom.  THIS is what I'm good at.  Changing diapers... check.  Kissing booboos and making the boys feel better instantly... check.  Refereeing fights... check.  It's definitely not easy.  But I wouldn't want it any other way.
What is a mom?  A mom is a nurse, a doctor, a friend, a cook, a baker, a dietician, a counselor, a financial adviser, a teacher, a disciplinarian, a musician, an artist, a confidant, a shoulder to cry on, a photographer, a maid, a 24/7 zombie, an insomniac, a blogger, a barber (in my boys' case), a fashion adviser, a planner, a clown, an angel and a dictator rolled into one.  Am I these things?  For my boys' sake, I hope so - and more. 

No comments: