Monday, January 07, 2013

Resolutions vs. Goals

Why do people make resolutions at the beginning of the year anyway?  More likely than not, they don't live up to them at the end of the year.  So, why bother?

I gave up making resolutions when I was in college.  I just got frustrated when, by December, I could not even remember what resolutions I made at the beginning of the year!! So I'm letting go of it. BUT, that doesn't mean I'll simply live without something motivating me in a way.  After all, everyone needs something that will keep them on the right track, right?

So this year, instead of resolutions, I am setting some goals.  Achievable goals. Here they are (well some of them anyway):

1. Read more books.  I need to read more about parenting, homeschooling, ASD, finance and education.  I want to be able to learn a lot from the books I read so I guess I'll need to visit Booksale real soon.

2. Learn to drive - again.  I actually took driving lessons but that was years ago. When I was still in college! And I never got to drive in Manila because 1.) we didn't have a vehicle then that I could use; 2.) by the time we had a vehicle, I lost my confidence in driving, and 3.) the current vehicle we have is my in-laws' and I don't want to damage it with my beginner driving!  But realizing that I am getting old, I know now that I cannot wait for the perfect time because there won't be.  I have to learn and I have to learn this year.  Plus, getting my driver's license will be another thing I could cross out in my bucket list. :D

3. Watch less tv and more music.  Sometimes, when the room is too quiet, I turn on the tv just to fill-in the silence.  I don't want to do that this year.  I want to listen to more music and less nonsense shows.  We already have a lot of tv shows on our plate, I don't want to have to add meaningless shows to it.

4. Eat healthy, be healthy.  I get so scared when I think that I'm going to be a diabetic everytime I put a sweet into my mouth (I blame family history).  But I know that many factors contribute to diabetes so I tell myself now that I should exercise, eat healthy and always have regular check-ups.  Hopefully, being conscious about these things will help me lose some weight as well.

5. Start a business; any business.  Looking at our finances, it's worrisome seeing our debt (and at the beginning of the year!!).  So, I'm thinking of ways on how to increase our finances and that would most probably be through business.  My initial plan is to have a garage sale (we have a LOT of stuff here at home) and use the money from the sales, to come up with a small business that can be managed from the home.  I was thinking of having an e-load business (which is very popular in the Philippines) and that's manageable when I homeschool the boys next school year.  I also plan to sell ice for P3/ice bag.  Since my brother-in-law purchased a bigger ref, we now have a bigger freezer space so storing ice is not going to be a problem. Another thing I plan to do is advertise as an English tutor.  Who knows, someone may need my services, right?  Hopefully, with all the money I could earn, borrow or loan, we could have our own bike store, which I learned from a family business, is very lucrative.  So there you go.  Wish me lots of luck.

6. Continue blogging.  Considering the schedule I have for the year, this will be very challenging but hopefully, I will be able to find the time to drop a line or two still.

Other goals related to my boys and homeschooling are in my other blog. :D  Will get back to you at the end of the year regarding the accomplishment/failure of the above goals.

No comments: