Friday, December 14, 2007

A VISIT

I just came from the doctor's. No, I'm not sick or anything. It's Mama, Ruther's mom. For 2 days now, she has had some nosebleeding and she's worried about it. So today, she decided to skip work and have herself checked. Since Papa would not be of much help (he tends to get overly anxious) I decided to accompany her instead. We left the boys at home and we were at the clinic around 10:30. The doctor did not come in until 11am (her schedule was from 10-12noon) and then Mama was called at 12noon. I am a patient person but I SO hate to wait. I feel like it's such a waste of time. Of course, I brought my book and read a few Newsweek magazines but I still felt like my time was wasted just sitting there doing nothing. Anyway, when Mama was called into the clinic, she told the doctor her history so the doctor got her blood pressure first. It was a whopping 170/112!! Wow. Then the doctor checked her nose and in Mama's left nostril, the doctor saw some inflammation. Apparently, when Mama sneezed so forcefully the other night, she ruptured some capillaries which caused the nosebleed. And since the wound did not heal immediately after that, she had recurrences the following day. So, the doctor applied some silver nitrate to chemically cauterize it and prescribed Mama some Hemostan (to control the bleeding) and Micardis (for her hypertension). The doctor also asked her to have some labwork done on her blood (Mama is a diabetic) so Mama will have to go back next week to hand over the results. Mama paid P700 for everything (I don't know the breakdown) which to me, seems a bit steep because the doctor said she would be giving Mama a "discount". Hmmm. I wonder what the poor people would do if they were charged this much for a nosebleed...

Anyway, I'm just glad that Mama is okay. She was worried that it could have been something serious but at least now, she could rest easy. And now, it's time for my nap...

No comments: