Tuesday, May 20, 2008

FINISHED

I just finished reading The Subtle Knife AND The Amber Spyglass, the second and third books of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series (that follows The Golden Compass). Frankly, I feel so overwhelmed with the story of Lyra. The closest thing to describing my feeling is like watching the Matrix for the first time. It's like you get lost in all the lingo and jargon and you just need to watch the movie one more time and pay attention a bit more closely. Well, Philip Pullman's books were like that. I feel -now that I've read through all the stories- I need to read the books one more time to fully appreciate the story. It was just so riveting that my eyes devoured every word and I just hated putting the book down to do something else. Last night, I slept at around 3am because I only had a few chapters to finish and I wanted to know how it was going to end. And when I finally read the last word on the last page, I just felt a bit empty. Like when I read the last book in the Harry Potter series. I felt like I won't be able to talk to a friend again, that's what I felt. I just wanted to know what will happen to Lyra next, and to Will and to all the many characters in the story. How will the universes survive? What will Lyra's future be? How are the beings going to live again in their homes? It's all very frustrating because I just want to know so much more. It's like being so involved in something that you just can't think of anything else. So it's very frustrating. And I really really really want to know more. It seems pretty disappointing that there are only 3 books. It would have been nice to have read a bit more about Lyra's adventures. And there was so much material to go by, so many stories to tell, so many other adventures. It's just soooo frustrating. But still, I loved it. It's something I've really really come to love and now, I can't stop thinking about it. So maybe, I'll make up my own stories about Lyra and Pantalaimon and Will and Iorek and Serafina Pekkala and the angels and the mulafa and Mary Malone and all the other characters that made the current reading so entertaining. And I wish that one day, I'll once more stumble on a wonderful story such as this, that would not only take my breath away, but would transport me to another world, completely wonderful and completely unexpected.

No comments: