Wednesday, June 04, 2008

GOOD DEEDS

I usually don't keep track of any good deed I've done. We were always taught in school that we shouldn't be keeping a scorecard when doing good deeds for other people. And I agree. However, I would just like to share the stories just the same because good deeds can be big or little and could inspire other people to do the same. (Well, at least I'm hoping the readers here will. =D)

Good Deed Number 1
Last Monday, I went to the National Statistics Office (NSO) to get copies of my birth certificate, Nikki's and Ethan's birth certificate, as well as our marriage certificate. I need these copies for our visa application. The nearest office from my home was at Macapagal Boulevard. Anyway, when I got there at around 8am, I was shocked to discover a looooooooooong line of people. Really, it was disconcerting. But I got some forms and proceeded to fill them up when I heard a voice coming from the megaphone that said in Tagalog, "Newcomers!! If you don't have an ID with you, don't even bother to line up!" Okay, I didn't have an ID with me. I didn't want to bring my passport because I didn't want it to get lost and my professional license was expired (I didn't bother to renew it when I'm not even practicing my profession). So, dejected I decided to go home and just go back another day. I rode the jeep/shuttle that would take me to Baclaran (from there, I would have to take another jeepney that would take me home). As we left the NSO, the twenty-something woman beside me started asking around if we had change for 500 pesos. At 830 in the morning, that hardly seemed likely. When we got to SM Mall of Asia (which was just 3 minutes away from NSO), she looked sooo worried and I found out that it was because she was getting down there. I took pity on her and asked her how much her fare was. She said 8 pesos. I told her that she could go down the jeepney and I would pay for her fare (it's a bit embarrassing when people stare and wonder what's keeping the jeepney from continuing on its way - people could be so impatient and testy). She was hesitant at first and I told her, "Sige na! Ocho lang yan e." (Go on! It's only 8 pesos.) She said "Salamat ha" (Thank you) and I just nodded at her and she went down the jeepney. I quickly paid the driver (who I think was relieved that he didn't have to go through the whole changing-the-P500 drama) and we went on our way to Baclaran. I must admit I felt pretty good about it. I mean, if I were in the girl's shoes, I would be flustered as well and I would have wanted a good samaritan to help me as well. Besides, I always prefer to offer help rather than have someone ask it of me. I know that's kind of mean, but I've been fooled and conned many times before by the latter. So yeah, I was glad to have helped that poor girl that day.

Good Deed Number 2
This is really no biggie. The boys are outgrowing some of their houseclothes so I decided to select the small ones and set them aside. I didn't however, want to keep them but at the same time, I didn't know whom to give them to. Actually, the son of our housekeeper in Zamboanga would be the perfect candidate but I didn't want to send those all the way home. It would just be so costly. When I asked our housekeeper here if she knew anyone who needed those clothes, she said that her friend had a son who was smaller than the boys and would be able to use the clothes. So I gladly gave them to her. She was happy and so was I. I didn't want to have to put those clothes in storage. It would just be impractical. Anyway, after sorting through most of the boys' things, I also found a pair of blue sandals that were too small for the boys. Then I remembered the little boy of the housekeeper in the house up front who would play on the street without slippers on. The boys and I know him and his mother and they (the kids) would sometimes play outside when we get mangoes from the tree. So I decided to give the sandals to that boy. The mom was surprised but she accepted them and put them on the boy. I was happy to see him walk around with the blue sandals on his feet and no longer dirtying his soles. He was happy, I was happy and I'm sure his mom was the happiest of us all. =D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is inspirational. :) And I need an inspirational story right now. The other day I was walking down the street and came across a group of homeless late teens/early 20s kids. They were homeless by choice (they had signs for their cause: vegetarianism, and almost every one had a dog as a pet, none of them looked any worse than unwashed [rather than really hungry or with insufficient clothing). One of them asked if I had any change as I walked by. I was feeling generous that day and decided that they were welcome to the change in my pocket. As I was fishing it out, one of the kids stood up and started lecturing me on why I should give up eating meat. I of course got flustered and had trouble getting the change out of my pocket, he kept lecturing, and it didn't take long for me to regret stopping for them.

So your story of a girl who didn't ask for help and was grateful makes me feel better. :)

Becky said...

Payin' it forward.

I don't usually mention these things either (that whole not wanting the left hand to know what the right hand is doing thing from the Bible), but it's always a wonderful thing to help others whenever you have the opportunity to do so.

If only more people did things like this when they saw a need they could help with, you know?