Thursday, July 02, 2009

AIR BEDS

I think air matresses or air beds are handy and convenient. My mother-in-law bought a couple and we got to use them for a time. The bed was big and comfy once pumped into the right firmness. It was however, prone to moving about the linoleum floor but we remedied that with a few non-slip mats underneath. The air bed we had then was not the high-end type. The air pump took a few minutes to inflate the bed (which I feel took too long) and it got hot in such a short while that we had to turn it off to cool it down then after a few minutes, resume pumping air into the bed. It was not very convenient, let me tell you. But then again, it surely beats having to purchase a queen-sized mattress. Also, the one great thing about air beds is storage. I'm thinking it would be great for our apartment in Japan because aside from the super small space we have there, sleeping on futons is not that comfy. I'm thinking an elevated queen air mattress would be great for Ruther and me and the boys could sleep on the loft. However, I would want an airbed that would inflate and deflate in less than a minute, has a very good air pump, wouldn't easily break or have punctures and has a very good repair kit. That's how my mother-in-law's air beds lost their appeal. They punctured easily and we didn't have patches for the punctures and now, they are stored in the attic. With that in mind, I don't think (should I own an air bed in the future) that I would be bringing an air bed with me for outdoor activities. I'm thinking it would simply be too inconvenient to lug one around in the Philippines. I mean, where would I plug the air pump in a rustic barrio? Plus, I'm sure the rough terrain would puncture tons of holes onto the mattress. So, if I had an air mattress, I would most probably use it for our apartment in Japan or, if we had a home of our own and had guests over, maybe as an instant bed for them. Other than that, I'm sticking to my own nice, old-fashioned mattress, thank you very much.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Great post I agree completely with everything you have said air beds are the way to go, i have always had trouble sleeping due to back, neck pain and all the usual I looked into air beds and like yourself I am glad I made the change, if you are interested I would recommend you to check out here air beds where they offer well priced inflatable air beds and more for fellow air bed lovers like us, cheers for the post!!