Monday, October 26, 2009

CHICKENPOX

The boys have chickenpox.

Ethan's fever turned out to be a symptom of the illness. Ethan had a blister 2 days ago near his upper lip and he complained that it hurt and wanted me to bandage it but after kissing him, we didn't think much of it until I noticed that it became like a reddish pimple. Then, I noticed that he developed another blister near his nape and I got suspicious. Yesterday, while combing Nikki's hair, I noticed a similar "pimple" on his scalp. Then this morning, when Nikki woke up he had tiny blisters on his face, arms and body and I was like, "AHA! Chickenpox!!" And I was right.

Ethan is feverish and cranky and clingy. He wants me to always be by his side. The good thing though is that he has very little blisters at the moment. Nikki is not as feverish but he has blisters over his body and suffers from upset stomach. Poor kids. :( I of course, am trying to make things easy for them today so I am like their slave for the moment. I don't mind because I know they need the pampering. I went to the drugstore this afternoon to buy some calamine ointment/cream so I could apply on the itchy blisters/sores. I don't want them to develop into scars from rough scratching.

Anyway, I'm hoping that their illness won't last for more than a week. It's a good thing I already had chickenpox when I was in grade school. But then again, I only had it for 4 days. I hope I don't start sprouting blisters in the next few days!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, poor boys...and poor mama! I hated dealing with chicken pox, both when I had them as a child and when Jericho had them when he was young.

I don't know if you have Oats (the grain) available there, but if you do, you can put a cup or so of oats into a sock or a ladies stocking and then run a lukewarm bath with that stocking in there, it puts a 'gooey' substance into the water. You can squeeze the goo out of the stocking over the boys and wipe them down with it, then allow them to dry. It helps bring some relief to the itching. You can bathe them in it a few times a day. The bath helps bring down the fever, too.

I clipped Jerichos fingernails right away to prevent damaging scratching. If you teach them to 'rub' the blisters with a knuckle instead of a fingernail, it helps prevent them from spreading and isn't as likely to leave scars.

I'm also not sure if you have health food type stores (or other places where you can obtain essential oils in your city), but there is one essential oil called Melissa (from the Melissa plant, also known as lemon balm or bee balm) which I understand helps with both chicken pox and it's 'sister' outbreak, shingles, when drops of the essential oil are applied directly to affected areas. It's supposed to lessen the effects of both shingles outbreaks and chicken pox. I have never used it because Jericho had already gotten over his chicken pox when I first heard about it from another mom, but she said it was the best thing ever for chicken pox. Brought almost immediate relief.

I'll be praying for the boys quick recovery!

Becky said...

Oh, and I meant to add that Honey applied to each pox is supposed to help keep them from getting infected or spreading. It feels kind of gross at first, but is supposed to help greatly. It's also supposed to work on acne breakouts to dry them up and kill bacteria.