Thursday, March 29, 2012

CAN'T DECIDE

For the nth time, I am having second thoughts about Nikki's education.

Yes, he learned so much when he was in regular school this past school year but at the same time, I feel frustrated at the pace they've been going at and the limitations of the school. Sure, I appreciate his lessons in Filipino and Makabayan and I know that it was indeed, time for him to learn all those. But I also know that learning those would have been accessible to him here at home since I already have Filipino and Makabayan books for him that I purchased a long time ago. I also know that his friendship with his classmates has let him appreciate camaraderie and company, but I know that homeschooling doesn't limit him in making friends (though not as close). I appreciate the artwork they do in school but it's such a far cry from the art lessons he has done while homeschooled. There's so much more to consider, so many other things to weigh, I feel as though I'm caught in a tug-of-war and I don't know which way to go.

On one side, being in school will teach Nikki independence, how to relate to people, self-confidence and discipline. On the other side, being homeschooled will simply open his doors to so many learning opportunities I can't enumerate them here for fear of boring you. I suppose we could still do blended schooling so he could have the best of both worlds, but I just fear it's simply too much for him to handle and that he'll have a burn out. And I would absolutely hate myself.

Sigh.

What to do? I asked Nikki what he wanted and he too, felt divided. In terms of lessons, he wants to be homeschooled. But at the same time, he admitted to me that he WILL miss his friends. So I have absolutely no idea what to do. I have 2 months to think of what Nikki's next step in education will be and I just feel so confused. I don't know what to do.

Nikki will be taking a placement test in June (PEPT) to determine his grade level. This test is given once a year to out-of-school youths and homeschoolers. I'm not worried about Science, English and Math but Filipino and Makabayan are another story. So I told Nikki we'll have to review until June so he'll be ready for the exam. I just hope that he'll do well. We've started reviewing and so far, we've been doing easy lessons. Next month, we'll have to step it up and I hope Nikki can cope. I don't want him to think that all our homeschooling lessons were for naught. And I don't want my husband to think that I didn't teach my boys anything! So yes, it's going to be a very busy summer for us.

Wish us luck!

No comments: