Tuesday, June 12, 2012

12 YEARS

Yesterday, Ruther and I celebrated our 12th year anniversary.  Wow. I still can't believe we've been together that long.

It hasn't been easy. We've had our ups and downs.  But what marriage hasn't, right?  There were times when I felt like there was no hope, like it was never going to get better.  There were times when I just wanted to give up.  But because we didn't give up, because we still fought for each other, we're here now.    And I'm glad for that.

Ruther and I aren't perfect people.  We have our flaws and we have our temperaments.  But I think it's because we know each other so well that we could adjust to our craziness. We could read the other and tell when to shut up, when to give advise, when to just let the little misunderstandings go.  I always say, "Pick your battles" and it really works, whether it's with the boys, or Ruther.  You just have to focus your time and energy on the things that matter the most and just let go of the less important ones.  It's still not easy for Ruther sometimes because he's such a control freak but he's learning.  After all, he's not getting any younger.  Who wants to suffer a heart attack from a minor thing like picking up toys?

Twelve years is no joke.  But if it means spending time with this man I call my husband, then I'm sure the years will simply fly by.  We may have crazy fights, but I know he loves me and I think that's all that matters.

No comments: