Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Kare-kare First

A relative went to the market yesterday and mistakenly bought 2 kilos of tripe.  Yes, you read it right.  TWO KILOS.  I was like, what the heck are we going to do with this much tripe?!

So, I made some lugaw and after the guilty relative pressure cooked the tripe, I added some to the congee.  We had the lugaw for breakfast and then breakfast the following day.  But we still had a lot of tripe left.  Then it hit me. Why not make kare-kare?  I never made kare-kare though so I was a bit apprehensive.  I checked out some recipes and they didn't seem too bad since the longest part of making kare-kare was softening the meat and tripe.  So I told myself: "it's time to make kare-kare."

I decided to use kare-kare mix to lessen the chance of botching up the most important part of the dish.  Here's what I did:

1. Soften the meats (oxtail, tripe, etc).  My relative did this for me.  Using a pressure cooker saves a whole lot of time and gas.  Keep the broth.  You'll use it later.

2. Pre-cook the vegetables (sitaw, eggplant and pechay - in that order.  I forgot to buy banana blossom.) My mother-in-law makes kare-kare.  More often than not, the eggplant is still hard come serving time.  I didn't want that to happen to my kare-kare.   I saw in a website that pre-cooking the vegetables was advisable and I thought that was a good idea.  It's best to pre-cook the vegetables in the broth that was used to soften the meat to make them flavorful. I simply half-cooked the veggies which only took a few minutes.  Set aside.

3. In a saucepan, saute chopped garlic and then some sliced onions in some oil. Add the softened meats and stir-fry for a few minutes.  Dissolve 1 pack kare-kare mix in 1 cup broth and add to the pan.  I then added another cup of broth to make sure the sauce won't dry up after it thickens.  I added one beef cube and let the sauce simmer.

4.  After a few minutes, I added 2 tbsp peanut butter because I simply love the smell and peanut-ty taste of kare-kare.  I added the vegetables and let it simmer for a few minutes.

5. All done!  Serve with yummy bagoong and rice!

Easy, right?  I never thought that it would be that easy!  Again, the toughest part of preparing kare-kare is softening the meats.  After that, it's all good.  Now I wonder why I was so afraid to make kare-kare before!  

No comments: