Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Raising My Boys

I am currently reading the book Raising Kids Who Will Make a Difference by Susan Vogt and it's interesting - in a parenting point of view.  Granted, I don't agree with all her methods but I understand her intentions and I respect that.

For instance, assigning a particular color for each child to color-code their stuff.  It's very ambitious and I'm sure it worked for their household, but I don't think I have the time to color-code everything here since we're living with my in-laws and I wouldn't want to color-code their stuff along with ours! I did like her idea of going on dates with each child.  That I would want to do especially when my boys are older.  I hope they will look forward to those dates with me.

Another topic that I enjoyed reading was her propensity to bring eco-bags wherever she went.  Living in Las Pinas has taught me to bring an eco-bag whenever I'm out of the house lest I carry any stuff I buy in paper bags or god forbid, a cardboard box.  I want to encourage my boys to do the same but again, I always encourage them to decide for themselves on what they believe is best for them to do.  Hopefully, all our lessons on recycling and being environmentally conscious will guide them accordingly.

I'm halfway through the book and I hope to learn more.  I hope to finish at least one (informative) book every two months so I guess I'm on the right track. :)

No comments: